Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A new start

When I was 10 years old my Mamma married my step-dad and we moved from Iceland to Cheyenne, Wyoming. We lived there for 3 years and I really loved it. There is a thing called Frontier Days in Cheyenne every year. It is a fair and there is a rodeo, rides and you can learn all about the Indian culture (that's what I remember, there is probably more that I don't remember). I remember the first year we went to Frontier Days and we went over to the Indian tents and they were doing a dance in front of the tents. I told my Mamma that Indians weren't real, they were just make believe like Santa Clause. You see there are no Indians in Iceland and so I thought they were just awesome and they could not be real. Well needless to say I now know that Indians are the REAL thing and they really did live in tents and ride horses and they are still as awesome today as they ever were then to me.

When I was 13 years old we moved back to Iceland. We were stationed there for another 3 years and then my step-dad retired from the Air Force and we moved to Whitehall, Pennsylvania. I lived there for almost 5 years. My step-dads family is from Pennsylvania so that was home for him. I really enjoyed living there and then when I was almost 21 I decided that I wanted to move to Iceland to see what it was like to live there as an adult.

Off I went with 2 little boys to start my new life. I got a job less than a month after moving to Iceland and we struggled but we did good and were happy to be around our family. When I was 23 years old I bought my home in Iceland as a single Mom of my wonderful boys. That was the proudest moment of my single Mom life. I moved my sons into our new home and it was wonderful. The only thing that was hard was I knew that I didn't want to live in Iceland for the rest of my life. I knew I belonged in America.

So almost 5 years after moving to Iceland, I decided that it was time for us to head out and go back state side. I moved to Virginia Beach because I love the Ocean and living in Virginia Beach I can go to the Ocean anytime I want. You see Iceland is surrounded by Ocean and when I looked out my kitchen window I could see the Ocean, on my drive to and from work every day I could see the ocean. Basically no matter what I did or where I went in Iceland I could see the Ocean and I loved it!!! I feel at home when I am around or by the Ocean so Virginia Beach was the perfect place for me to move to.

With in a few months of moving to Virginia Beach I met my husband and fell in love. Dewayne is in the US Navy and is stationed here in Virginia Beach and in February of 2010 his enlistment is over unless he decides to re-enlist (stay in the Navy). Well we have been going over the advantages and disadvantages to staying in the Navy and well the decision was made for us and we are officially getting out of the Navy in February of 2010.

Now it was time to decide what we are going to do when he gets out of the Navy. I have told you that I chose to move here to Virginia Beach and I have to say I LOVE it here. My husband on the other hand is not a fan of Virginia. He does not like living here and has been counting down the days since he first arrived here.

Dewayne is from this beautiful city....

Chicago, IL



All of his family and friends are in Chicago and he has always wanted to go back home when he got out of the Navy. I am not as big of a fan of Chicago though, it is a HUGE city and the crime rate there scares me! I am not used to living in such a huge place and it is really cold in Chicago in the winter time. Yeah, yeah I know what you are thinking....I am from Iceland and I should be used to the cold. Well guess what? It is a heck of a lot colder in Chicago than it is in Iceland.

Well let me get to the point of this post...a book and a half later :o)

We are moving to Chicago in January/February!!!


I am just not willing to live in the city, we are moving to the suburbs. So stick around and see how this Icelandic Mamma handles the stress of moving right after Christmas and how I am going to handle my hubby getting out of the Navy....where is he going to work???? Where am I going to work???? Oh yeah I have to get a job now too, no more staying at home with Kobe :o( I have always known that was just temporary but it is really scary to think he is going to have to go to daycare. Ok now I am starting to ramble off my fears. Sorry about that :o)

Wish me luck!

9 comments:

Pennie said...

Guess where I spend Christmas and Thanksgiving? Burlington, Wisconsin...about 1 1/2 hours from Chicago! Maybe we'll meet some day, my friend! I'm originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin...about 1 1/2-2 hours from Chicago. I now live on the Wisconsin/Minn. border - Twin Cities metro area - about 7 or so hours from Chicago. Yes, cold. I have one word for you - Cuddl Duds long underwear. :)

Pennie said...

BTW, I loved learning about your history. Wow. You're a STRONG woman! I kind of got that already, getting to know you, though. :) Loved learning more!

Dagbok Huldar said...

Good luck girl og gledileg jol,
kv
Huld

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

Wow, you definitely have a big decision ahead of you. Just follow your heart. It always seems to have led you in the right direction in the past.

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

sugoandsunshine said...

Coming from me, who followed her husband to Italy without speaking a word of Italian with two children under the age of 2, these are the experiences that make life so wonderful. Adventure finds those who are capable of adjusting. You'll do great!

PippaD said...

I thought that I did something brave moving a whole half hour away (to a town where I already had a job), when I married my husband!

Beth E. said...

Helga,
I've enjoyed reading this post...you've lived in a lot of places! I've always lived in Southwest Virginia. I love it here in the mountains!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog AND for entering my giveaway. I agree with you...the snowman IS cute! Good luck!

Laura said...

Cool...GOOD LUCK!! You really have traveled around a lot, this was such a fun post to read. You will be only about 5 hours from me, and yes, it IS cold up here!! :) I know it's hard not to worry about all those things, but everything will work out great! :)

Erin said...

I missed this post before and I was just thinking when I read your last post where you were headed. See what happens when you miss something. I'm happy you guys made a decision work for you. Good luck with everything