Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm Back Baby!!

I finally have internet set up at my new house! I am so excited to be able to finally catch up with all of you and be able to start communicating with the Blog world again!

Last weekend I wrote a recap of our move so you can read all about it. A lot has happened since I left Virginia. I am going to leave you with this and then I will write more later.

Took Kobe to the Drs and found out he had strep throat. Picked up medication and went home to finish the last of the packing and cleaning so we could hit the road. I got home from the Drs about 12:30 and immediately started cleaning out the house. I hate finishing up the little things because even after all the packing I did I still didn’t feel like I had done enough. There was so much little stuff that still needed to be packed up and put in the truck.

We had scheduled our final inspection for 4 PM and by the time the guy came I was on my hands and knees cleaning the kitchen floor for the last time (of course I put the mop in the truck). When the guy arrived he told me that I didn’t need to clean the floors….this is the same guy that told me that I needed to make sure I mopped the floors URGH!!!! The guy walked through the house and told us that everything looked good and we were good to go. YES!!! We were now on our way to a new beginning.

I ran over to my old friend that I talked about in this post and said good bye. I told her and her family how much I loved them and was going to miss them. It was really hard to say good bye to her little girls, I love them to pieces! Then I went over to my friend Jennifer’s work to say bye to her since I left before she came home from work. We then drove to Hampton, VA where I went to a friends house to say bye to her and her family (I know I will see them again) and Dewayne went to his friends house to say bye.

Now we were off to start our journey to Illinois. By this time it was 7:30 PM and everyone was exhausted after the long day we had had. We drove until we were about 60 miles out of Roanoke, VA (I have no idea where we were when we stopped) and stayed in a hotel for the night….Huge mistake!!!!

We were all exhausted and went right to sleep. The next morning we woke up at 7 AM to start our drive. I looked out the window and there was at least 6 inches of snow on the ground. We were all really excited since we haven’t seen snow in forever and went to eat breakfast at the hotel. We sat by the window and talked about the beautiful snow and how fun it would be to play in it. Then we got in our truck and Dewayne and Delorean got into the UHAUL.

We got on the highway and started driving at about 30 mph and the road was really slippery. The roads had not yet been plowed so it was crazy to drive on them. We got to the next exit and decided to stop at a gas station to buy a window scraper and fill the truck and UHAUL up before heading any further. When we pulled into the gas station, I got stuck of course. It was up hill and the car was just sliding and not wanting to go up the hill. I am used to driving in snow though so I got myself out of it :o)

After getting gas we headed back out and decided to just take it real slow and make sure that we all made it there safely. We got about 10 miles before we had to stop again because my windshield wipers were freezing. It was snowing so hard, the snow was so wet and the temperature was so cold (about 16-22 degrees) that the snow would freeze within a few minutes after hitting my windshield wipers. It was really scary to not be able to see through the window.

We decided to stop to clean off the windshield wipers and right before we got to the exit Dewayne started swaying in the UHAUL and slid into a ditch. It looked like he was going to flip the truck and I about had a heart attack watching all of this from my rear view mirror. I backed up till I was as close to him as possible and ran out of the truck to make sure they were okay.

There was an ambulance right behind them and the Paramedic came running over to make sure everyone was safe and a cop pulled up right at that moment. The cop called a tow truck and told me to get in my truck and get off at the next exit and wait at the gas station for the guys. I followed the cops directions and got really lost!!! Never listen to cops when they give you directions :-O I ended up finding my way to the gas station in the end!

I waited and tried not to freak out about the whole situation and the guys finally got there. The guys were fine, they just kept telling me not to worry. We talked it over and decided that if we stayed where we were we were risking getting stuck in the snow. We decided to keep driving but just drive slowly and take our time. We got back on the road and drove as far as we could in between stops. I got lucky a few times and drove behind a snow plow. In about 7 or 8 hours we got about 100 miles. By the way, West Virginia sucks to drive through in snow!!! It was nothing but mountains and it was not plowed!

After we hit Ohio we were able to pick up some speed and really get going. We drove until about 10 PM and then stopped when we crossed the Indiana border. We got a motel room and ate White Castle for dinner (the boys and my favorite). We were all pretty excited about getting to our destination. We all had a hard time falling asleep, all except Dewayne…he fell asleep as soon as he finished eating, We talked excitedly and watched a little TV and then finally at about midnight we fell asleep after listening to a train go by so close to our room it sounded like it was coming into the room.

We woke up and were on the road by 8 AM the next morning excited about getting to our destination. We drove the whole time straight and got to our new house at around noon (central time). We looked around at our new home and the boys were really excited about their new rooms. I really like the choice my husband made, the house looks really good and he made the right choice!

We called around and got some of Dewayne’s cousins to come to the house to help us unload the UHAUL. We finished unloading the UHAUL at around 5 or 6 PM, I had already set up Kobe’s crib and my bed so we could sleep in our beds. Tyrique and Markus slept on their mattress on the floor (we just bought them new bunk beds). We ate some sort of take away dinner and then we went to bed.


Confessions From A Working Mom said...

Yay! I missed your cheery posts! As you started out your story, I said to myself, "Hmmm, I hope she made it to IL before all the snow!" I'm so sorry girl! I agree, driving through WVA in the snow is the WORST!

Confessions From A Working Mom

Crayon Wrangler said...

I am so happy to see you back and well! You have been missed here in the blogoshpere!

Pennie said...

Glad you're back!!!! We'll chat soon!

Pennie said...

Well...quite an exciting story! Whew! I can't wait to see your posted pics of your new home with your stuff in it! It's great to have you back, Helga!

Erin said...

I'm so glad you made it safe! Moving in the snow is not fun!