Sunday, September 6, 2009

Happy 2nd Birthday Kobe!!!

I decided to copy paste Kobe's birth story from last year so you can all read about his arrival into this world.  Kobe is now 2 years old!!!  Wow how the time flies!  I feel like it was just yesterday that I was rubbing my belly wondering when I was going to meet my little prince and now I have had him with me for 2 years :o)  Enjoy the pictures and story while I enjoy my little man.

This ultrasound was done on 4/25/07, the day I found out we were having a BOY!!!
Here is a 3D pic of Kobe taken the same day
Here is a profile shot of my little munchkin
Here is a belly shot taken at 20 weeks and 2 days
Another belly shot, this one taken at 24 weeks
Last belly shot taken at 36 weeks and 2 days
I took this picture of Kobe first after they brought him in my room.  He was a few hours old

This pic was taken with Daddy the day after Kobe was born.
Mamma feeding Kobe the morning after he was born.  Sorry about the boob shot :o)
Here is Kobe in May of 2007 enjoying sitting in the grass
Kobe in November 2007
Kobe riding his new Diego bike on September 6, 2009.  2 year old big boy!!!

Now on to the birth story....
So at 5:30 am on September 6, 2007 I woke up with contractions and a horrible back ache.  I got out of bed and got into the bath tub which by now I was taking 5-6 baths a day because my back was always hurting soooo bad (found out when Kobe was three months old that was due to kidney stones).  I laid in the bath tub for hours.  I had Dewayne wake the boys up for school and called them into the bathroom and told them to take the bus home with my friend Michele's children.  I explained to the that I was going to have Kobe that day and they were going to stay with Michele as we had discussed before.  The boys left for school and that is when I told Dewayne that I was going into labor and he needed to call work to let them know he was not coming in that day.  So Dewayne called work and I got out of the bath tub and made sure all the bags were packed and ready to go.  While I was getting Jalen ready Dewayne went and took a shower and got ready.  I don't think he realized that it was actually happening though because I had to rush him and let him know it was time to go to the hospital.  

We dropped Jalen off at Michele's house and her husband Oron took Jalen for the day for us since Michele was in school.  Then off we went to the hospital.  As we were coming to Portsmouth we got stuck in some serious traffic and we could not get into the proper lane because no one would let us in so Dewayne scootched his way in to my horror (I thought we would end up in an accident).   We got to the hospital about 10:30 am and checked in at the desk to Labor and Delivery only to find out that there was a HUGE wait to be seen, it seemed like everyone in Virginia decided to have their babies that day!!!  
So the wait began.....
We sat in the waiting room for hours waiting to be seen, we talked to all kinds of people waiting for their babies arrivals too.  The funny thing was that most of the pregnant women were having boys as well, I think only one or two were having girls.  My contractions kept coming but they were not too strong but my back felt like it was going to explode!!!  At about 3:30 pm I was finally seen and the doctor said I was about 50% effaced and 2 cm dilated.  He wanted to send me home but he was just a resident so he had to have the head doctor come in and make the final call.  When that doctor came in he checked me also and told me that he wanted me to walk the halls for two hours and let him check me again because he could not admit me and do a c-section if I was not progressing.  
So the walking began....
Dewayne and I went to the cafeteria which is all the way on the other side of the hospital and two floors down so he could have something to eat.  I had not eaten anything all day and the nurse told me not to eat anything but I was allowed to have a smoothie so long as there was no dairy in it.  I had about 1/4 of the smoothie and then Dewayne drank the rest and we kept walking.  We walked the halls and then I wanted to walk up and down the stairs because I knew that had worked when I was having Tyrique.  So up and down I walked for probably about an hour.  I was so tired by then that we decided to go back to Labor and Delivery and see if they would check me.  When we got to Labor and Delivery there were even more people waiting to be seen so I had to wait another hour before they would check me to see if I was dilated any more.
When I went to the room to see if I had dilated anymore the nurses put me in an actual Labor and Delivery room and then they left me there for awhile longer.  About 7:30 pm the doctor came in and checked me and said that I was at 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced so she (it was a different doctor from the first time) asked me where I lived because she wanted to send me home and have me come back the next morning for a c-section.  I told her what the other doctor had said about me progressing and I also told her that we live at least an hour away.  She told me to hold on a sec she wanted to check with the head doctor and see what he said before making a decision.  
Well while waiting I decided that I better call my Mamma and tell her I was going to be having Kobe soon and I did not get an answer.  So I texted Birgitta and she called me right back and I told her the news and asked her to please call Mamma and tell her.  Well Mamma called me back and said she had forgotten her phone in the car.  Well as I was talking to Mamma the nurses came in to put the IV into my arm.  I got off the phone with Mamma and I swear everything happened so fast after that.  The nurses got the IV into my arm and I went to pee really quickly and then when I came back from the bathroom the doctor was waiting for me and told me I was going in to have my c-section.  I was rolled into the operating room so fast that we forgot to take a picture of my belly.  While I went into the operating room Dewayne put on his scrubs and waited to be called back. 
Well the ride into the operating room was scary....I didn't really know what to expect and I was so nervous.  I got a spinal tap and then the nurses prepped me (put in the catheter and shaved me).  They put up the sheet between me and my belly and the doctors came into the operating room.  Dewayne came into the room and sat at my left side by my head.  He was so good rubbing my head trying to make me less afraid.  The doctors started cutting my belly and I remember smelling a burning smell and it made me really nauseous and the anasteseologist put an alcohol wipe on my nose and it worked like a charm.  
I remember them pulling and tugging on my belly and then they pulled his head out and I felt my stomach empty when they pulled his body out, Kobe was born at 10:15 pm.  Then Dewayne started saying "Oh my God, Oh my God" and I thought something was wrong and when I asked him he said "Wow Helga you should see all the hair this baby has!!!"  Kobe was placed under the warmer and they cleaned him out and suctioned out his lungs and Daddy stood there with him.  They then dressed Kobe and Dewayne brought him to me so I could see my baby for the first time.  Wow he was so beautiful and perfect weighing in at 9 lbs 1 oz and he was 22 inches long.  He was my smallest baby and he had the most amount of hair by far.  Kobe was then taken to the special care nursery because they had to clear his lungs out.  I was stapled shut and taken to the recovery room, all in all the surgery took less than an hour because I was wheeled out of the OR at 10:45 pm.  I sat in the recovery room waiting patiently for them to take me to my room so I could see Kobe and Dewayne.  Finally  at about 12:30 they took me to my room and there was no one in the room.  I was taken to a different room than the one I had been in earlier that night so I didn't have any of my stuff including my phone so I could not call Dewayne to find out where he was.  I laid there waiting for something to happen and at about 1 am Dewayne came into the room and told me that he had been in the other room waiting for me to come back and had just found out that I was in this new room.  
Kobe was brought in to me at about 2 am, maybe a little sooner but not much.  As soon as I got Kobe in my arms I undressed him completely and placed him on my chest so I could have some bonding time with him.  Then I breastfed him and took lots of pictures of him.  After I was done ooohhhing and aaahhhing over my beautiful baby that I created I had Dewayne put him back in his bed and I went to sleep.  
Kobe was born on a Thursday night and we came home from the hospital on Sunday afternoon.  He has been a joy since the minute he was born, always so happy and sleeping through the night by the time he was 6 weeks old.  I could not have asked for a better baby.  He just keeps melting my heart in one way or another.

No comments: