Sunday, May 17, 2009

9 years ago today...

I had my second son Markus.  He was born at 8:17 pm in Allentown, Pennsylvania.  My labor with him was such an easy labor I was having a hard time believing that the baby laying in the heater next to me was mine.  

I woke up at 10 am and went to the bathroom and there was quite a bit of blood in the toilet.  I called my drs office and talked to the nurse and she said it might be because I had been checked the day before and she told me to call if there was anymore blood.  Well being that I was pregnant I of course had to pee shortly after getting off the phone with the nurse.  This time when I went to the bathroom there was even more blood.  The nurse told me to come into the drs office so they could check me to make sure everything was ok.  I had been having contractions the whole night but nothing major.  

So off to the drs office I went and they hooked me up to the monitors and I was having steady contractions.  The dr came in and checked me and I was 3 cm dilated, he said he wanted to check my bag of water after that and went to put his hand in there again and my water broke at that exact moment.  It gushed all over the floor but the dr got lucky and none went on him.  

The dr told me to go to the hospital which was about 5 min away and he would see me there shortly.  At this point it is about 2 pm.  We drove to the hospital and I went straight up to Labor and delivery and demanded a shower because I wanted to wash up before everyone went checking me so I could feel clean and not like I just peed myself.  They told me I couldn't take a shower yet, first I had to be monitored for a little while.

I told the nurses that I wanted to make sure I got an epidural with this child since I had my first naturally and I wanted to experience a "pain free" labor.  I was at 4 cm when they checked me and they told me I could have an epidural at any time now and I didn't have to wait till the contractions got bad before getting the epidural.  Well at this point I am barely feeling the contractions so I told them no, no yet.  This was about 3:30 pm.

By about 5 pm the contractions were getting pretty strong where I was practicing my Lamaze breathing so I told them that I wanted the epidural.  They checked me at this point and I was 5 cm dilated.  The anesthesiologist comes in and puts in the epidural and tells me it will take just a few more minutes  and then I will not feel anything.  I get really excited about the epidural and the idea of having a pain free labor but by 6 pm I am feeling some really strong contractions.  I call the nurse in my room and tell her that they all lied to me when telling me the epidural is going to work within minutes because I was still feeling the contractions really strong.  

The anesthesiologist comes back in the room and ups my dose on the epidural and tells me just to wait a few minutes and it should work good then.  So I sit and wait......

At about 6:30-7 pm I was getting pissed off that the damn epidural is not working and I tell the nurse, this epidural does not work!!!  I can feel so much pressure!!!  She asks me...what kind of pressure are you feeling??  I told her I felt like my ass was going to explode.  She decides to check to see how far dilated I am only to discover that I was 10 cm dilated and baby was ready to come.

She calls the dr in and when he came in they see that I wasn't having contractions....they were all gone and had been for awhile by this point.  I tried to tell them when I came in there that with my first child was born my labor stopped when I reached 10 cm and they had to give me potocin at that point to help me along but the dr told me that wouldn't happen again...guess what it did!!!

So I get potocin and they wait till my contractions are nice and strong and by this point it is a little bit after 8 pm.  The nurse tells me that she wants me to push on my next contraction.  So next contraction comes along and I start to push.  She tells me to stop pushing because she needs to get the dr, the baby is coming right now!!  I stopped pushing right away and she kept telling me to stop and  I told her I wasn't pushing he was just sliding out.  Well she runs to get he dr and he was in the room in less than a minute and tells me not to push.  I was yelling at this point telling them not to let my baby hit the floor and the dr is trying to get his gloves on.  

Markus Gabriel made his entrance into this world by barely being caught on his way out weighing in at 9 lbs 9 oz and 22 inches long.  He was beautiful and perfect in every way!!  He was the perfect baby just like all my boys have been.  Sleeping through the night from the start and Markus was always happy and smiling at everything and everyone.  Still to this day he melts everyones hearts he meets.  


Sigurborg said...

til hamingju með stráksa... vonandi átti hann góðan afmælisdag.

Pink said...

Já ég men þetta eins og það hefði gerst í gær :o) Til hamingju með prinsinn minn, kv amma